The Community Council is an elected council that is made up of KOOP programmers, volunteers and community members, mandated by the bylaws of KOOP Radio to advise the Board of Directors and support both community outreach and development of KOOP policies. Comprised of 16 members, two distinct groups elect 8 members each to the Council: 1) Individual/Business Supporter, Volunteer Members; and 2) Community Organization Members.
Become a KOOP Community Organization Member
Why become a community organization member of KOOP Radio?
- Announcements about your organization’s meeting or event could be mentioned on KOOP radio. There is a Community Calendar segment on the Community Council’s weekly community outreach program. And other KOOP programmers may mention these as well, if relevant to their programming.
- Your organization could be featured on the Community Council’s radio program. This is an excellent opportunity to let listeners know more about your work and goals, and to get this message out to a wider audience.
- Last year, KOOP aired nearly 2,000 free public service announcements. Was your organization mentioned? Get involved with KOOP Community Radio!
- Should your organization become a member of the KOOP community (free), you will have a vote on issues that are decided by our membership. Your input is important to us!
- Your organization may become a member of the Community Council. There are eight seats reserved for community organizations; elections are held annually.
Community Council Mission Statement
The KOOP Community Council mission includes providing:
a. An advisory capacity to the KOOP Board of Directors, General Manager & volunteer Membership
b. ‘community outreach’ services - to the community at large, especially the under-served, in order to connect the community with KOOP Radio.
c. community in-reach’ services- as an avenue for promoting a participatory, cooperative, healthy and professional work environment throughout the station
Community Council Members
|Pedro Gatos¹ CHAIR||October 2020|
|Roscoe Overton² COMMUNITY COUNCIL COMMUNITY LIAISON||October 2020|
|J. Brian Griffith¹||October 2021|
|Bob Dailey¹||October 2021|
|Susan Slattery¹||October 2020|
|Rod Moag¹||October 2020|
|Greg Ciotti¹||October 2020|
|Evan Hearn¹ SECRETARY||October 2021|
|Penny Jo Pullus²||October 2021|
¹Representing Individual/Business Supporters and Volunteer Members
²Representing Community Organization Members
2014 Nov • Dec
2015 Jan • Feb • Mar • Apr • May • Jun • Jul • Aug • Sept • Oct • Nov • Dec
2016 Jan • Feb • Mar • Apr • May • Jun • Jul • Aug • Sept • Oct • Nov • Dec
2017 Jan • Feb • Mar • Apr • May • Jun • Jul • Aug • Sept • Oct • Nov • Dec
2018 Jan • Feb • Mar • Apr • May • Jun • Jul • Aug • Sept • Oct• Nov • Dec
2019 Jan • Feb • Mar • Apr • May • Jun • Jul • Aug • Sept • Oct • Nov • Dec
CC Quarterly Diversity, Inclusion & Health re. Update Briefs:
2020 Historically Significant Cultural and Ethnic Celebration Events
As part of the Community Council's efforts to promote Cultural Sensitivity and Diversity on behalf of KOOP Radio throughout the KOOP community, the following Annual Monthly Celebration Calendar events is as follows. The list below includes the name of the liaison for responsible for organizing KOOP's participation in each event. You can contact them for more information using the Community Council email address.
- Martin Luther King Jr., January 20, 2020 (Roscoe Overton)
- Lunar New Year (aka Asian Lunar New Year, aka Chinese New Year) (first day of the first lunar month of Lunar Calendar), January 25 - February 8, 2020 (Greg Ciotti)
- World Radio Day, February 13, 2020 (Rod Moag)
- International Women’s Day, March 8, 2020 (Penny Jo Pullus)
- Earth Day, April 22, 2020 (Evan Hearn)
- May Day & Cinco de Mayo, May 5, 2020 (Brianna Griffith)
- Juneteenth, June 19, 2020 (Pedro Gatos)
- Stonewall & LGBT Rights, June 28, 2020 (Bob Dailey)
- Americans with Disabilities Act, July 26, 2019 (Rod Moag) 2020 Special Recognition: Saint Black August Month , August 2020 (Brianna Griffith)
- Diez y Seis, September 16, 2020 (Susan Slattery) 2020 Special Recognition: Latinx Month , Sept. - October 2020
- Indigenous People's Day, October 12, 2020 (Greg Ciotti)
Recognizing these events evidences our commitment to cultural sensitivity, diversity, and inclusion, as well promoting an appreciation of significant historical events and the local connections.
- Calendar listings are a benefit of being a Organization Member. For details on how you can join as a member non-profit, please contact the Community Council or download the membership application above. It is free to join!
- events may be categorized by color: Arts & Culture Basic Human Needs / Education Services Education Health Social Justice Other